Hearty Lentil Cabbage Soup
This recipe comes to us from our intern, Elizabeth Frietas! Year-round favorites cabbage and cauliflower are the stars of this hearty soup, but don’t hesitate to give it a seasonal twist: try adding tomatoes, zucchini, or other seasonal veggies when you can find them at farmers’ markets!
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 carrot, scrubbed and diced
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 4 cups water
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme (or 3 tsp fresh)
- 1 tsp dried sage (or 4 leaves fresh)
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Black pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, saute onions in olive oil over medium high heat until translucent. Add carrots and celery, and cook until soft – about 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, sage, bay leaf, and 2 tsp of the balsamic vinegar. Stir and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and cabbage. Simmer until semi-soft and lentils are cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Season to taste with black pepper and additional herbs if desired. Stir in chopped parsley (if using). Drizzle with additional balsamic vinegar and olive oil before serving. Enjoy!